Thursday, March 12, 2009

Starter Car

The car I started with was one of my daily drivers, a 1984 944 Porsche. I bought this car for $1,000 and it needed some body work. I did all the work my self, totaly stripped the exterior and had the car painted. It has the sunroof delete option, very rare. The factory did not put a sunfoof in and thus the car is a liitle bit lighter because of the additional bracing that comes with the sunroof. The exterior and interior were pristine by now and I was having second thoughts about stripping it. Well, that was decided when a truck backed into the front, denting the header panel. To make a long story short the driver met me the next day and paid me $1,200 for the damage. The car's fate was sealed. I replaced the header panel and stripped the entire interior. The Porsche script cloth high bolster seats sold for $400 and the rest of the interior for $100. I then sold the polished Fuchs rims off my other 944 for $800. I now had $2,500 for the track car. This ammount paid for the seats, roll cage, belts, seat back brack and a wide mirror. I also installed an oil cooler and an Accusump. I already had Koni adjustables, lowered front springs, and Kuhmo V710 tires. The car was built according to the specs at ICSCC.com to compete in the E Stock class. I bought and sold a 944S and that paid for my suit, Hans device, and driving gloves. My driving shoes were won at a drawing for turn workers. Yes, I do work at the track when I am not racing. So in all their has been very little expense out-of-pocket.

2 comments:

  1. In my youth I was a dedicated fan to the muscle car drag racing and funny car races. After getting into Formula 1, watching the local road racing I am now hooked into this style. I would love to hear more about the technical end, what it takes to set up a street car, and the local road racing scene. Keep the info coming.
    JS

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was easy for me as I started with a car that was born of racing heritage. I would recommend that your shocks, bushings and springs be in perfect shape. Drive the car on the track and find out if it understeers or oversteers. At this point it is important to let the car drive itself, by that I mean don't force it thru the corners. The more relaxed that you are the more you will feel the ride. After you get a feel of what the car wants to do then you can make improvements, however, I believe that the best money spent is on improving the driver. Even I have resisted the urge to throw money at the car for the sake of performance. I still have not driven the car to the limits, but I am getting close.

    ReplyDelete